livin' the life...livin' the dream

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A warning to fellow Oakland dwellers. The condition of our sidewalks is unsafe. They are costing the residents of our fair neighborhood pain and distress, and by "residents of our fair neighborhood," I mean me. Allow me to share a story..nay, a tale of woe.
This evening, while returning home from a team meeting, the housemates and I happened across an abandoned office chair. It was a most exciting find, being leather, on wheels and in fairly good condition. As half of our furniture already consists of sidewalk finds, we thought it only fitting to add this chair to the collection. After testing out the chair we commenced in bringing it home. I ended up being the one pushing the chair at one point, about the time that Molly decided to start running. I love running, especially after Molly, and I took off in hot pursuit, chair and all. This is when all went awry. The chair hit a bump and fell over and before I had a chance to react I ran into the bottom of the chair, flew over it and collided with the asphalt not so lovingly awaiting me on the other side. The housemates thought this most amusing. I found it somewhat painful. Point of the story, the sidewalks are a safety hazard. I personally would not feel safe raising a child in a city where he or she could not sprint down the sidewalk pushing an office chair. I think I may write a congressman, and I urge all to do the same. Heed this warning. My shin hurts right now, and if it weren't for the goddamn sidewalk, it wouldn't. Think about it. That is all.

1 Comments:

  • Wow. I only started running when you started chasing me. Who wants to get run over by a leather office chair? Not me. So I did the only sensible thing; run away.

    By Blogger Molly Moore, at 11/29/2006 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home