livin' the life...livin' the dream

Sunday, September 23, 2007

BAM. Posted.

So I finally had my first job interview last week. I took the Amtrak train from New Haven to Baltimore's Penn Station Thursday evening. Plus side: I didn't have to go through check-in and security like I would have had to a the airport. Minus side: the train was delayed an hour and a half much like a plane would have been.

So I finally get to Baltimore and Caley's fiance is at the train station to pick me up because one of the women at Caley's work had been in a car accident (we’ll call her GI Jane) and so she had gone to the hospital to see how she was doing. While merging on to the highway, GI Jane had off the ramp only to be hit in the back of her car by a car speeding in the right hand lane. GI Jane flipped through the air and off the highway while the car that hit her just kept driving. Luckily, GI Jane was unscathed and Caley was waiting for us when we got to their apartment.

The timing of this trip couldn't have gone better. Caley had off from work Friday and Saturday. Also, she had a job interview at 1PM on Friday. My interview was at 11AM. Caley's fiance had work on Friday, so we got to utilize both bathrooms in grooming Friday morning. Unfortunatley while we were getting ready, Caley got a phone call from the woman she was going to interview with telling her that she had to reschedule the meeting. Since I never got a confirmation from the Baltimore Museum of Industry on my interview at 11AM and the woman who was supposed to interview me wasn’t in her office, it seemed like Friday would be a black day for job hunting.

Caley and I hopped in the car with a care-free air and headed into the inner harbor. After arriving at the museum, I quickly learned that no, they had no idea that I’d be coming and yes, they would like to talk to me but there is a group coming through and would it be alright if we talked in between groups? What resulted was my watching the coolest activity ever witnessed in a museum.

Baltimore is known for oysters and it is a museum of industry, right? So for the school groups, the kids get to go through all the different activities that would take place in an oyster factory. Words really cannot describe how cool and fun this looked. It looked like so much fun, I asked the woman interviewing me, Diane, if adult groups ever requested this program. She said yes and that it was slightly awkward to see the grown-ups bending over the counter tops, pasting “cans” together.

After leaving the museum, Caley and I hit up Wegmans and Walmart before heading back to the apartment and crashing on the coach for the rest of the afternoon. We proceeded to stay on the couch throughout the day and into the morning hours. All-in-all it was an awesome weekend. I look forward to doing it again some time.

3 Comments:

  • Wow this is very exciting. I think you should learn from this and use this strategy to get other interviews. Just show up unannounced at a museum somewhere and ask if they are ready for your interview. The nice but often scatterbrained museum administration folks will have no choice but to find time between tour groups for an interview. You should try this. I am serious.

    Also, I am very sad that we have not yet gchatted. I am available 12-8am M-F. Couldn't you possibly break into a public library and use their Internets?

    Sorry for not posting the key to the secret code in my last comment. But if I posted it, it wouldn't be secret. I tell you the next time we chat.

    By Blogger TallE, at 9/26/2007 2:40 AM  

  • did you hear anything about this job? if you worked at an oyster museum, i would definitely visit you. clam museum though, i'm not so sure about.

    By Blogger Virb, at 10/11/2007 3:55 PM  

  • Nice blog...

    By Blogger yusufyusuf, at 12/17/2007 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home